1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Jonathan Lamas

Ford Mustang Transmission Problems Investigated

By August 8, 2011

On Sunday The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defects reported it had received 32 owner complaints regarding a sudden inability to shift gears on 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustangs with manual transmissions. Some of the reported issues occurred when drivers were merging into high-speed traffic or while turning against traffic. Not good. According to an article in The Sacramento Bee, Ford plans to fully co-operate with the review.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've heard of complaints regarding manual transmissions on the newer Ford Mustang. In fact, a reader alerted me of this back in June. It seems quite a few folks have experienced issues. Hopefully Ford will step to the plate to resolve any and all issues. Do you have a 2011 or 2012 Mustang with transmission problems? Tell us about it here.

Update (11/13/11): Last week, Ford official responded to the NHTA's Investigation. Get the full details.

Sources: The Sacramento Bee, The Detroit News

Photo Courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Comments
August 8, 2011 at 5:54 am
(1) Gabroye says:

I got my 2012 ford mustang v6 a couple of weeks ago..and i was on 700 mileage now..i have this experience a couple of time.when driving in an intersection and im trying to shift into 3rd gear but it wont go through and the car stopped in the middle of the intersection.luckily it was midnight theres no other car that time.my other experience when im in the traffic and trying to put it on first gear it was very notchy and sometimes wont go through even though i pressed the clutch hard and the car stopped i was almost hit by another car.this kind of transmisson problem is dangerous.i hope ford will do something about this before someone get hurt or something.

August 8, 2011 at 6:47 am
(2) Gregory Camacho says:

I have a 2012 Mustang GT with only 989 miles on the clock, and I have expirenced shifting problems, not much to say about cold climate because it has not been cold at all in TX, but the shifting from 1 to 2 is rough and notchy , almost like there is a missing part or gear the catches. while stopped at a light and attempting to move forward I had to shift in to 3 gear and slowly move up, because the car refused to go in to 1 or 2 gear. I hope that Ford fixes my problem and everyone else’s. I will be taking my car in as soon as I get back home.

August 8, 2011 at 11:03 am
(3) Bill says:

I have a 2011 GT/CS and owned it for over a year now, I have experienced these issues as well. I brought the car back to the dealership they said thats the way the car shifts to save on gas and I was experiencing the skip shift feature. So I went and did some research on it and bought an SCT tuner and removed it, never had the issue again and now the car shifts very smooth. I have had other issues like when the car tries to start and doesnt turn over, the car will just keep cranking…Others have had this issue as well this seems to happen in the colder months. The last issue I have is the rear bumper seems to move away from the car up to 1/4 inch in 98+ temps I have seen this on every 2011 & 2012 car “not 2010″ when the car cools it goes back to shape a little annoying at car shows when its extremely hot. You can see this right where the bumper lines up with the fender at the tail light. I think there is not enough clear coat on the rear of the car, I haven’t brought this up with Ford yet just not enough time. But over all I would deal with this issues again, it is a beautiful car that has some serious power and excellent handling.

August 8, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(4) Ken Bagwell says:

My neighbor has a 2010 Mustang, and he is having transmission problems. He took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. This vehicle was in the shop three times and still has the same problem. I advised him to take it to another Ford dealer in town. (Louisville, Ky). It won’t shift up the gears, it is a (5) Five speed automatic. It will go about a half a mile and try to shift but boggs down, he had the accelerator to the floor and still would not go through the gears, the car is still under warranty, How do i get this problem resolved, because the dealer won’t respond to my request…..?

August 9, 2011 at 1:02 am
(5) Chris says:

The 2010 and 2011-12 Mustangs have totally different transmissions. The same goes for the 2010 and 2011-12 autos. I think the S197 Mustang (05-10) has a German built albeit comparable piece of crap trans. The Tremec 3650.

August 9, 2011 at 9:55 pm
(6) Daniel says:

I have a 2011 5.0 and my transmission is also having issues. It won’t go in to first, second, or third gear unless the car is off or I have to pump the clutch several times for it to engage. It only has 8600 miles on it.

August 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(7) Kevin J. says:

I’ve got a 2012 Mustang GT with the 6-speed manual trans. Mine has had problems with not locating gears, going into REVERSE when I put it into first-while taking off from intersections, and occasionally grinds 2nd and 3rd gears. It’s been doing it from day one, I originally took it to the dealer at around 800 miles, who sent me away saying that they need to bring in the ‘Ford Engineer’-which took another 6 weeks. Upon him driving it with me in the passenger seat, he revved it up in 3rd gear, and while attempting to get 4th, grabbed second, and locked up the rear end-flat-spotting my tires, and doing who knows what else to the car. When we got back to the service drive, I saw a lot porter get in and attempt to move it forward. He put it in first, and promptly went in to reverse, stopping maybe 2 inches from hitting the car behind him.
Despite ALL OF THIS, the Ford ‘Engineer’ not only DIDN’T report grabbing 2nd gear when he shoulda got 4th, he wrote on his report(on my Repair Order) that the car is functioning ‘ normally’. Now Ford won’t return my calls.
At any time, when I take off from a stop light, I could be going in reverse instead of first, and when entering the freeway, I might be rear-ended because the damn thing won’t go into ANY gear!
I bought the car on 4/20/2011, and it’s only got 2k miles on it…

August 9, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(8) Dave Ewers says:

I recently purchased a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. I find the shifting crunching thru 1st to 2nd even clutching all the way down and granny shifting. double clutching helps. Ford asked for a new car buyer survey and we mentioned the tranny problems and here is their reply.

Hello David,

This is Mayzel from Ford’s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I have read your email regarding your 2012 Ford Boss 302 Mustang.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused you. Thank you for your insight on this matter and your feedback is highly valued by all divisions within Ford Motor Company and serves to provide us with insight into areas where we may need improvement.

In addition, you may visit The Ford Story website to share general ideas with Ford Motor Company on how we can enhance our products and services, please visit us at http://www.thefordstory.com. Here consumers can voice their opinions on what they would like to see in their next vehicle, such as additional security features, more convenience items, and so on.

The Ford Story is also a place where you can share your experiences on owning a Ford or Lincoln product, get the latest updates on what is happening within the company, or catch up on exciting technologies and concepts being explored by Ford. You can also post questions for our engineers, designers or CEO.

Despite all this, it is in my best wishes to have another opportunity in the future to restore your confidence in our products and service.

Sincerely,
Mayzel
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

August 10, 2011 at 10:37 am
(9) Mustang Fan says:

Ford has got to get on top of this quickly. I’m a life long Mustang fanatic and right now I wouldn’t buy a 2011/2012 for anything. You can go to any Mustang forum and find lots of people saying the same.

August 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm
(10) Cory says:

Yeah, I’ve had this issue many times, when i go to shift aggressively it gets caught on second and 3rd gears, ive had people that also drive 6 speed manuals drive my car and tell me the same thing. I drive a 2012 v6

August 11, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(11) Terry says:

I have a new 2011 GT and same song as most others.
It started shifting hard from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 at 600 miles so I took it to a local dealer only to have them tell me everything is fine and no problems. Then they started telling me about the first to forth shifting is normal. I’m like duh I know that but that’s not why I came in here in.

800 miles on the car back I go, once again same song and dance.

1,100 miles on the car now and it like having to work just to shift from first to second.

Ford needs to step up and fix this china made problem!

August 19, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(12) Troy says:

The inability to shift into gear and the grinding seem to be getting the most attention, but there are many other owners out there (like me) who are also experiencing significant vibration when decelerating. In most cases, these problems have been described as “normal” by Ford, and it seems as though too many people are just accepting that as fact, focusing more on the grinding issue. I have been old by Ford techs that “no way is that normal” in regards to the vibration, but the “official” stance from Ford Corp. is that it’s normal, and we have to deal with it, citing it is inherent in the the design of the dual-mass clutch/flywheel. From what I have been able to determine, the entire point to using a dual-mass clutch/flywheel is specifically to REDUCE vibration. Any mechanic will tell you that vibration kills parts, it’s only a matter of time before it shakes itself apart.

I’m hoping that this issue does not get lost in the mix with the gear-grinding issues. I have filed my claim with the NHTSA – and encourage others with the vibration on deceleration symptoms to do the same.

August 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm
(13) Troy says:

Kevin J. – I agree – the reverse lockout is VERY poorly designed. I am having the same issue on my 2011 V6. I’m now up to 4800 miles, plenty of time to get used to this “quirk” and it STILL happens to me sometimes despite my best efforts to be as careful as possible. This is not a feature you should have to exercise such precise action to have work properly – that’s the whole point of a revers lockout…isn’t it? It’s supposed to keep you from accidentally going into reverse, yet it requires extreme precision and concentration to AVOID going into reverse.

I’ve also reported this issue to the NHTSA. If you haven’t, you really should.

August 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm
(14) Steve says:

Totally agree with Troy on his comments about the vibration.

I have a 2012 V6 Manual and get occasional vibration decelerating especially in 3 or 4.

I’m Canadian so can’t register a complaint with the U.S. NHTSA, but have had my Ford Dealer document it on the vehicle file and Ford internal issues file.

August 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm
(15) George says:

I have a 2011 gt500 1st to second grinds unless you stop in neutral for a second. I took it to the dealership and they ordered parts. We’ll see but the transmission tech said he has done 3 others only one of which resolved the problem.

September 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm
(16) Sean says:

I’ve got a 2011 GT Manual. After about 2000 miles I began having problems shifting into 2nd and 3rd. From a stop, it would not smoothly go into 2nd gear, meaning I would have to feather the gas and clutch to get it to pop into gear just right. The first time I took it into the dealership the mech said that it felt fine. At about 3500 miles it would not shift into any gear. After I had the car back in the shop and the transmission pulled out to look at, they found the flywheel bolts either backed out or missing and the flywheel damaged, not allowing the clutch plate to release from the flywheel. I may be mistaken, but i believe there is now a TSB on this. The dealership replaced the flywheel and bolts, and i haven’t had a problem with the tranmsission since. It how has 13000 miles. I still think Ford should’ve but a T56 behind the Coyote. IMO

September 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm
(17) B Bueche says:

I have the 2011 V6 performance package manual MT82. built 10-01-2010, 5400 miles now essentially brand new and hoping it ages and begins shifting smoothly next year.

The transmission is not a performance inspired tramsmission they did not bother to fully finish the design testing. It is very notchy!
I have to try 3 or 4 times to get into first from neutral at a stop light. Pushing and fiddling with the shift knob till it goes in. Usually have to put it into second first, while clutch is in, then it goes into first more smoothly. Way to NOT verify your design before putting it into production FORD. Same goes for second and third gear, while driving I have to work very hard to finesse, fiddle, and push to get it in smoothly. I have to assume that the gears are being damaged if you try to force it in to gear to avoid being hit while driving. Just what a performance enthusiat wants, a low performance hard to operate transmission. Luckily not the next level of the malfuntions everyone else is reporting. YET.

October 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm
(18) Billy says:

I have a 2011 mustang V6 that I can’t shift into gear and my clutch went out on it. Ford told me that they are not going to warranty it and I am out of luck. I have 3 different warranties on the car and none of them cover anything. It makes me extremely mad.

November 2, 2011 at 8:42 pm
(19) Chris says:

I have a 2012 califoria special mustang 5.o litre.Shortly after i got it this summer i constantly have problems upshifting to second gear and sometimes 3rd and 4th.I complain to my dealer but keep getting told its fine.Its very tough to drive in the city this way and i want it fixed.They just say nothing they can find wrong.Someone please help me.It only has 6800 knm on it now.

November 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm
(20) mustangs says:

Very disappointing to hear Chris. Nothing’s worse than spending your hard earned money on a product that doesn’t work properly. Even worse when the folks that make the product give you the run around.

November 14, 2011 at 12:09 am
(21) Larry P. says:

my 2012 v6 manual mustang trans seems to me to be noisy in 1st & 2nd gear ,and is sometimes hard to get in 1st gear. shifting into 2nd gear is the worst problem .its very hard to get a smooth shift. shifts are very notchy.I would call this trans clunky and crude! i think ford has made a big mistake installing this boat anchor in an otherwise great car!It takes all the fun out of driving it. My Honda i traded in shifted perfect! when i first got the car i thought it was just me,and ill get used to it. 2400 miles later I know better. I am a heavy equipment mechanic,and I know when its just not right! Ford are you listening? My first new Ford has a major problem!

November 18, 2011 at 10:34 am
(22) Wolfgang says:

uuuuhps – I intended to by my first Stang. It seems to be a wise decision not to do so. What worries me most is that there seems to be no customer oriented reaction from Ford. Here in Switzerland we not even have a Ford warranty. We just have a “dealer warranty”. No way.

November 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm
(23) Lee says:

This is very disappointing. I’d like to get one last V8 before the EPA fuel economy requirements make it impossible to sell them and I had decided on a Mustang. I drove an automatic this week, but it was really boring with no manual control over the shifting and the transmission programmed to shift well below the torque curve unless you were really pushing it. So I decided I would try a manual next week. After reading this and several other threads like it, I’ve decided to forget the Mustang. Hopefully they will get the transmission problems worked out and either put in a better manual or add means of controlling the shifting in the automatic before they phase out the V8.

December 1, 2011 at 9:10 pm
(24) Dimitri says:

I have a 2012 mustang GT with a 6 speed manual the day I picked it up the shifter would shake in 4th gear and wouldn’t always go in to gear. Now with 2,000 miles it grinds in 5th shakes if 4th and dose not always go into 2nd. Took the car to a ford that I work at and was told it had to be torn down and rebuilt. I didn’t like the fact of my 2 month old car need to have its tranny rebuilt. So I called Ford up and told them that they should put a brand new tranny in my car because of the fact it was brand new and was having a problem from the day I got it. I even performed the TSB for cold shift effort at 500 miles and just got worse after that.

December 7, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(25) tim says:

I have a 2012 V6 6MT with the Perf pack & 2000 miles. Initially, my complaint was with the brakes as the pedal would bottom out & would coast to a stop – no ABS kicking in even on a wet road. Tried several dealer trips, plus Ford Rep – result was no fault. Now have the flywheel vibration & called the dealer to see if there’s a fix – NO.

Seems to me that, so someone told me, if they get too many complaints it infringes on the ‘Lemon Law’. So it’s better for them to ignore.

SHAME ON YOU FORD!

December 14, 2011 at 10:46 am
(26) Claudio says:

My 2011 v6 manual shift mustang burned the clutch a few months after purchese. Ford said it was abused and did not cover the repari under warranty. I could not pay the costs of reparing the clutch at ford so I took it to my mechanic and installed a brand new Ford clutch in it. I worked fine for a while but recently the new clutch was sliping when I needed to pass a car of the highway after 3500 rpm or so. Last week I could not put it into gear anymore, so I took it to Ford and they still say that this is all related to the original clutch. That is unbelievable!
I thing either the master cylinder or something else on the clutch was bad from the start which damaged the first clutch and now the new clutch. Ford is still avoiding responsibility and expect me to pay again for another clutch.
This is the last Ford vehicle I purchase in my life.

December 27, 2011 at 10:51 am
(27) Richard says:

I’m a new Ford owner. I bought a 2012 Mustang GT with a 6 speed manual transmission. I purchased the car in August 2011. We noticed transmission vibration and noise and after just 1000 miles the dealership had to replace 2nd and 5th gears. They had the car for 2 ˝ weeks. While driving the vehicle on November 8th the transmission locked in second and would not come out of second with 2000 miles. Dealership had the vehicle until 12/23/11. We have drove the car and the transmission still does not feel right. We are very disappointed with Ford and the Mustang. My wife, her family and my family have always been Ford people. This was my first Ford and my last. Our families are as upset as we are and no longer tease me for owning my first Ford. They were taking pictures and teasing me and stating that I was a Ford man now when I purchased the car and how I would be converted. When you buy a $40,000 car there is a natural feeling that the car should be dependable. After 30 years of driving I have never had a vehicle leave me stranded. I have never had a vehicle in repair for more than a couple of days. I came across the thread and decided to post. I have not read the entire thread but I will. We have asked Ford to take the vehicle back and are waiting on their decision. The biggest problem we are having is that the repaired transmission broke again with very few miles- basically ever 1000 miles. How do we have confidence in the vehicle? The first repair included seals, plug, gears, sensor, hub, ring, cone an, shield, fluid. The second repair included bearing, seals, plug, housing, retaine, fluid, nut, gasket

January 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm
(28) Larry says:

I have a 2012 GT/CS and the transmission whines in gears 1 through 4. It goes away for 5th and 6th. Otherwise it seems pretty smooth. Others have mentioned similar problems stating it’s a counter shaft bearing. Brought mine to a dealer today and he’s looking into the issue. Hope to have this resolved. Otherwise the car is fantastic.

January 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm
(29) justin says:

I have a 2011 gt had issues at first but I got the sct tuner to get rid of the skip shift no problems after that.

January 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm
(30) Craig Park says:

I have had my 2012 Mustang V6 for about 6 months now. 3500 kms, and this shifting is driving me nuts!
1st to 2nd – vibrates and feels like it is grinding the gears. I have had the car in once for this problem and they stated it is a cold weather problem that was not thought of when produced as they figured nobody would want to drive these cars in the winter ( yet it has heated seats…. ). Said the changing of the fluid to full synthetic would resolve problem…… now is almost worse. Not too worried YET, as lots of warranty. Ford WILL fix this… I promise you… I will see to it.

February 23, 2012 at 3:42 am
(31) Barbara Williams says:

The 2011 and 2012 Mustang transmissions are now built in china. I mean really, of all places! I could accept Germany,canada,even mexico, but china..no way! After driving mustang’s for 25 years, I will be switching to a camaro.

February 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(32) NateGT says:

Since I purchased my 2012 Mustang GT, I’ve experienced numerous problems shifting from 1st to 2nd. For whatever reason, my car just hates going into second gear. I live in one of the most populous cities in the world (Seoul, Korea) and routinely deal with horrific traffic. I must be able to rely on my car to pull its weight, especially when having to drive offensively. Please Ford, as a car owner and share owner, fix this problem. I just paid $200, while the car is under warranty, to have a band aid solution to the problem. I bought my car in the states and shipped it here, the dealers don’t see GTs and say that they are unfamiliar with the issue. I suppose that I am forced to purchase a solution and install it myself which will severely impact my decision to purchase another Ford Mustang. I understand problems, but what good is a three year warranty if you can’t use it.

March 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(33) Tom Alexander says:

I have a new 2012 Mustang GT Premium Cal Special. I find the shifting from 1-2 and going into 1 hard and cumbersome. It really feels like a design issue. One word – CLUNKY. You would think they would want a smooth and quick shift ability on the car…..but no, it’s almost like they didn’t want you to be able to shift quickly…..I often have to double clutch the car!!! I have 2,700 miles on the car. Is this what I paid for??? Help Mr. Alan Mulally!!! You are the CEO right?

March 11, 2012 at 1:30 am
(34) tyler says:

Gears grind shifting from 1st to 2nd 2012 v6.

March 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(35) Daniel says:

I just purchased a 2012 mustang from my dad. The car has 4,200 miles on it, I mentioned something to him about the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, he didn’t seem to notice, but something doesn’t seem right. It seems to hesitate between the gear changes, especially when the car is colder. Really feeling uneasy about the whole situation, any one know anything, or what I should do?

March 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(36) Orangez28 says:

I have a 2011 Mustang GT convertible with the 6 speed manual. I don’t have any issues with 1st to 2nd gear, but when aggressively accelerating and shifting into 3rd, it is very hard to hit the gate cleanly. Basically I’m experimenting so I can hit 3rd gear without issue for quarter mile runs, etc, but it is proving difficult. I think its a design flaw.

March 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(37) Steven Goggans says:

Number one I am a ford fan, and yes the transmissions issues suck, and they is no call for it. But you also have to look at this from Ford view they tried something new and it has failed. Really they should have never left Tremec 2005-2010 mustang v6, gt, gt500. The 2011-2013 gt500 still use Tremec. Getreg transmissions are shit anyway, ever heard of the infamous cobalt ss wheel hop. My buddy has had his tranny replaced due to bad design from getrag. I due hate to see this happen because the new 5.0 is one of the best motors Ford has made in years. And I am getting sick and tired of hearding ” O its a Ford of course it breaks” really ticks me off. You don’t think other car company’s don’t fuck up. One word for GM Northstar, and Chrysler 2.7 liter nuf said

March 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm
(38) rob hicks says:

I have a 2011 GT 6-Speed/manual It def. has tranny issues. Sitting at a red light, shifting from neutral to first is dicey. Sometimes it doesn’t want to fully go into gear and it ends up grinding. This is really dangerous on a hill with traffic behind me. Anymore, I will attempt to put it in gear long before I need to and have to hold the clutch in for long periods just be sure. It seems when it doesn’t want to go into 1st, if I let the clutch out slightly only then it will slip into gear. I realize it has a skip shift feature (1st to 4th) but pulling out onto a busy street and going into 4th gear is absolutely dangerous!! The Tranny wants to go to 4th gear, not 2nd!! This feature saves ZERO gas for me. Too much effort to shift into 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd ear is notchy at times. Mentioned all of this to my service adviser and he just said “keep and eye on it” which to me means “we aren’t going to do anything so live with it. I will likely get rid of the car over this transmission issue.

April 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(39) Corey says:

In my car, if you remove the four bolts for the dust cover and the two bolts that connect the handle to shifter, there is another boot that sits theret how can I tell if the shifter seal is bad?
This is a 2000 Ford Mustang with 3.8v6, manual (of course).
One answer will be able to solve this and the question is:
Is the sift boot supposed to have fluid in it?
Thanks for any replies!!

April 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm
(40) D says:

I have a 2010 for mustang v6 and have problems since I purchased it. I have had the throttle body unit, throw out bearing, slave cylander, door regular, trunk latch replaced. I have difficult shifting gears and often times it won’t shift in reverse unless I coast the car. The car jumps a head while shifting. It winds through the gears while shifing and want’s to pop out of 5th gear while on the free-way. My tie rods are shot, it has high pressure stearing leak, the thermostat has been replace and now the housing needs replaced. I now have customer relations with ford helping in the situation (for the 3rd time) but am told that I have to wait for a catastrohic failure to accure to be able to fix the transmission. My warranty is almost up and I just keep getting told to trade in my car.

Very disappointed ford customer.

May 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(41) Taylor Miles says:

I actually have a 2010 Mustang GT with manual transmission and this has happened to me over a dozen times. I will be at a complete stop, pull the clutch in to shift into first and its like hitting a brick wall. Always at the worst moments too, nothing like horns blaring at you because the car is a pos. I finally took it in.. after a week ford finally decided to put a whole new transmission system in, including a flywheel and pressure plate. All was fine for about three weeks.. and then today, back to the shifting problems we go. Im to the point of finally giving up on ford even though I have driven mustangs for the past 10 years. As soon as my warenty goes out I wont be able to afford $700 every other month for something thats on their end.

May 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(42) Michael says:

I just bought a 2012 Ford Mustang GT a little over a week ago. It has less than 200 miles on it. I hear a grinding noise every time I put it into first or second gear, and sometimes in 3rd gear. The shifting is very difficult in first and second gear and reverse is even more so.

May 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm
(43) Disappointed says:

Well, I’ve owned a 1983 GT, 1990 GT, and 2002 GT. I was in the market for a 2013, when I test drove one and was immediately annoyed by the 6-speed manual transmission–didn’t like to go into 2nd and 3rd gears without first flexing against some invisible block. So I tried two more 2013 GTs–same issue. From there, I began doing some reading, and Ford’s blatant lack of concern for each of you leaves me terrified to buy another Mustang. They have you , they have your money, they don’t have to do anything about it but wait for you to give up and go away–and they apparently know it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave these comments. Your suffering will prevent me and likely many others from enduring the same loss and dealer-induced humiliation of being just another customer who won’t simply hand over his/her money and go away.

I wanted desperately to step into a new mustang, but I can see what the cost will be, with no hope of resolution from Ford and their likely legal team-advised response of “Just ignore them; what can they do to you? The worse-case scenario is that you might have to re-repair a transmission, but once the warranty runs out, their return will be your repair-shop profits. It’s a win win.”

I really don’t know what I’ll buy now. Any advice?

June 6, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(44) Bob Geneva says:

I have a 2012 GT manual that is extremely difficult to shift from first to second. Third gear isn’t much better. I escalated my complaint to Ford, who had me take it to another dealer for a second opinion. My three visIt’s to the service department ended as following:
Visit 1 – “could not duplicate customer’s concern”
Escalated return visit 2 – service manager experienced the noose and notchy shifting, but after a Ford engineer drove the car (1 week later),
It was determined to be normal.
Visit 3 – different dealer – it was determined that the shifting is a ” normal characteristic” of the mustang, and was the same as 2013 models.
Do I have any more options?

June 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm
(45) alex says:

I have a 2012 Mustang GT with about 7,600 miles on it, I have some issues as well. Transmission issues as well, from 2nd to 3rd, from 3rd to 4th gear. Just yesterday I was going from 5th to 4th and it went into 2nd gear. I noticed the car had issues the first week, but i thought it was probably breaking in or something. My gears get stuck usually over 4,500 rpm’s. I have front end suspension issues as well, they’ve changed the front struts and bushings the 2nd week I had the car, now the entire front is making noises again. As far as the Tranny is concerned, I took it in, they drove the car, they came back saying that I need to shift carefully, and nothing is wrong with the car, which is complete BS, I know how to drive stick, Im very disappointed to be honest with everyone, this is my first and last Ford, or any American car I purchase, total disgrace towards automobile engineering, Ford should be ashamed of the way they put cars together.

July 6, 2012 at 3:21 am
(46) Meredith says:

My problems with my 2012 V6 Manual transmission started the same as alot of you with grinding in second and third. Now at 14,000 miles i am experiencing some grinding noise when not actually changing gears and a rough feel through the gas pedal. I will be taking it to the dealership but fear no resolve from hearing this. Thinking about trading it in already due to these issues.

September 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm
(47) Rob says:

Bought my 2011 5.0 with auto trans in Oct 2010…have 12K miles on it now and have not experienced any problems. I’ve taken it to the track several times and still did not experience any problems. Glad I opted for the auto trans…consistent mid-12s at the track and no problems. Love the car!

October 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm
(48) Dan B says:

I have a 2011 GT. Had difficulty shifting into 2nd and 3rd on upshifts only like some have mentioned. Reported it to dealer and they claimed that Ford recommends a different fluid in the transmission than it came shipped with. They changed the fluid and all seems fine now.

October 19, 2012 at 11:02 am
(49) david says:

I have a brand new boss 302. with 450 miles it will not go into 3rd gear without grinding to death. I have owned Mustangs with top loaders, t-5′s. 3650′s never ever torn one up. I get in the china 6 spd and it has been in the shop for a little under a month. There must be so many of these toy 6spds out there broken, I can’t even get parts for my POS.

November 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(50) Mic Bic says:

I have a 2012 Mustang Boss 302 with the same exact shifting issues but guess what, mine just blew a hunk of metal from it while i was in 6th gear on the highway and when i stopped to take a look, transmission fluid was spewing from the car in the flywheel torque converter area , luckily i was close to the dealership in Mass where i bought the car from… but they claimed it was oil coming out as they did not realize that the transmission fluid in the car was actually fully synthetic gear oil thus it could look like oil. They basically diagnosed it without looking. I insisted it was the transmission so they took a 2nd and 3rd look and low and behold. “hey, you are leaking transmission fluid” I was like yeah, no kidding huh…

This happened to my car at ONLY 7,226 miles!!!

The mechanic came out to talk to me and said “sir, i have bad news… your Boss has to be left with us for a while as the transmission needs to be pulled out of the car and checked over thoroughly , if we can’t find the issue, it will need to be replaced, we will call you by 5pm today with an update for you”

Those of you whom are upset, let me tell you this, you will have a heck of a time getting the dealership to fix it, let alone replace it. . They were dead set on just handing me back my keys and making me pay for 1 hour shop labor and blame me for it “leaking oil” when it wasn’t leaking a drip of oil! The dipstick was between the 2 dots indicating to everyone it was “full & do not add oil” yet this still happened. The service guy named Mike was a rude, incoherent idiot!

November 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm
(51) Cheryl says:

In 2009 I purchased a new 2010 Mustang with the automatic transmission. I recently started having problems with my transmission slipping when pulling away from a complete stop. It gradually got worse. Right now it is in the Ford Dealership having the transmission fixed due to the fluid pump for the transmission going bad. They are replacing the fluid pump and the torque converter in the transmission. It only has a little over 55,000 miles on it. I was just under the 60,000 miles power train warranty but this shouldn’t be happening with only that many miles on it. It has been driven carefully and I never expected it would have problems so soon.

November 15, 2012 at 11:50 am
(52) Larry J. says:

Hi, I have a 2012 Mustang with the V6 and automatic transmission with 20,000 miles. What I have discovered is that after the car sits for 2 or more days (pretty rare), when starting the car and putting it in gear right away, the transmission slips. Waiting 10 seconds resolves the problem. I am thinking the torque convertor anti-drain back valve is slowly draining the torque convertor after a couple days. It takes about 10 seconds to fill it back up. It happens in forward and/or reverse. The dealer says that he has seen that in many Ford vehicles. They checked the fluid level but it was ok. It’s not a big deal but just hoping it isn’t going to turn into anything major. Just wondering if I should force Ford to do something now while it’s still under warranty. Any other owners with automatics experience this?

November 15, 2012 at 12:24 pm
(53) JOHN KNOX says:

I HAVE TROUBLE SOMETIMES GETTING INTO 2ND GEAR OR SHIFTING FROM 5TH TO 6TH GEAR.SOMETIMES IT GOES INTO 4 TH GEAR.EASY SHIFTING NO PROBLEM.NOW THIS DOESN’T HAPPEN ALL THE TIME.MAYBE WE NEED A BETTER SHIFTER. ITS AGGRAVTING. I HAVE JUST OVER 1550 MILES ON THIS VEHICLE. 2012 GT……
I’VE HAD THIS VEHICLE FOR JUST OVER A MONTH.I WILL BE GOING BACK TO FORD WITH THIS PROBLEM..I DIDN’T REALIZE OTHER PEOPLE WERE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS…..

December 28, 2012 at 7:28 am
(54) Dakota Chenoweth says:

i have a 2012 mustang gt with 12k miles on it that i have babied and i have trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th when at higher rpm’s.

December 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(55) Chris says:

I have a 2012 Mustang GT 6-speed manual with only 9k miles and from day one have had problems getting into second gear when cold. Had the same problem with my 2009 GT and 2003 GT all had manual transmissions. Was told by the dealer “it’s the type transmission Ford uses and nothing to worry about”. OK?

June 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(56) frank honaizer says:

Yes I have a viabration at 2500rpm been to dealerships been talking to ford custom care people did all I can do now just park the car in the back and wait for a recall or something…. the car is only for sunday drives but now its for back yard conversations and not much more or maybe in the front lawn with a large sign on it DON”T BY A MUSTANG!! That will stir the pot good as I live on a major hwy…farnk.

July 6, 2013 at 7:51 pm
(57) Herb says:

My clutch pedal is sticking while shifting under high revs. Ford is not willing to resolve the problem and told me that they couldn’t find any issues. Everything is normal. What a choke. Like I would have nothing better to do as complaining about phantom issues. This car and how Ford treats his customers are a big disappointment.

August 2, 2013 at 5:50 pm
(58) orangez28 says:

The transmission in my 2011 Mustang GT convertible has always been notchy. I took the car for a short trip a couple hours from home. I parked the car. When I came back to it, I couldn’t put it in 1st gear or reverse. I turned the car off, put it in gear, and with the clutch fully depressed, the car would move! The clutch wasn’t disengaging. I was able to get the car home by double clutching and turning the motor off at stops and putting it into 1st. I took it into Ford. First question the SR asks is “have you abused it?” I answer “never” I take care of my vehicles and am really pissed off at the inference. Anyway, they find that some of the flywheel bolts are completely sheared off. They are replacing the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw out bearing / slave cylinder. Luckily it will be covered under warranty. Others have not been so lucky. My car was built in March 2010 and only has 16000 km or 10000 miles.

August 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(59) orangez28 says:

I just got my car back from servicing. The difference is like night and day. The transmission and clutch are now as smooth as the motor! I am so relieved. I was actually thinking about trading it in for a Miata if there were any further issues. The clutch takes up mid pedal now, not at the bottom like before. The transmission glides through the gears with barely any effort. My car was never this good. It is now fantastic! I hope those with issues can find the same success with fixing the issue that I have had. Good Luck.

August 7, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(60) mustangs says:

Thanks for sharing, glad your Mustang is running smoothly again! Never good when the dealer automatically assumes you’ve abused your car. Mustang owners take pretty good care of their rides. Keep us updated!

August 15, 2013 at 11:24 am
(61) gregory says:

I have a 2011 mustang GT 5.0 it has been to the dealer twice for transmission failure. First visit took 28 business days to resolve instead of replacing it the repair the problem. Six month later the transmission has a problem again will not accept and/or hold 2nd gear the dealer has it now and it s been their for more than a month (30 Days). I have owned mustangs since 1985 and this will be the last mustang I will ever buy! I will not recommend anyone to put their hard earned money on a purchase of a new mustang until this transmission has been replaced with something better. Not to mention the terrible customer service provided by the Gus Machado Dealer in Hialeah, Florida. I am truly disappointed by the Ford Name Brand and its product !

August 28, 2013 at 9:52 am
(62) Keith says:

I own a 2011 mustang v6 automatic. This 6R80 auto transmission is a total China piece of crap! Started having trouble from the start with 1st and 2nd gears. When I come to a stop it clunks into 1st gear and take off it pops the rear end ( metal on metal pops can’t be good). The car sometimes bogs or stalls when pulling into traffic which is a safety hazard itself.It has been in the shop 8 times with only 21,000 miles. At first it was called normal by ford. They finally decided to replace the solinoids, leadframe, and shimmed the rear end for the bumping at take off. Guess what…it worst now! I have contacted Ford customer service and they don’t seem to care with no help what so ever. It’s been to 2 different dealerships with no fix. This is a learning transmission that is the problem. Dealership trying to blame my driving to cause problem. I’ve had many other problems beside the tranny….replaced water pump pully and belt….replace booster on brakes…replaced rear shock for leaking…..mass air flow sensor replaced….driver seat motor grinds. I’m to the point of the lemon law and going to file.Ford customer service will not return calls and no help is given for tranny problem. I’m done with ford forever!

September 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm
(63) dan says:

Have a 2011 v6 manual and this car is a lemon for sure! Clunky noise while slow rolling in first/second gear and pressing clutch-pedal, grinding feel on the shifting stick. Now after 15t mls a grinding feel is also noticable trough the gas-pedal. gearstick vibbrates when in 4th or 3th and de-accelerating. These are issues i never experienced in any euro or asian manual cars! Manual trans issues should not be occoured anymore on any car,period!
My first and my last mustang! Damn sh*t pile!

October 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm
(64) joe says:

I have a 2012 ford mustang boss 302. When i first got the car it was very hard to get into 1st and then shifting into 2nd. I was able to fix that problem by changing the trans fluid. I was soo relieved that I fixed this problem. Now with 11k on the car when shifting 2nd to 3rd on rpms higher then 4500 it GRINDS!!!! With so many problems with this chinesse transmission why is there not a recall? I’m bring the car to the dealer to see what they say is wrong it. I just don’t get why ford would put a chinesse transmission in such a historical car like the boss 302! The new boss 302′s with transmission problems is ruining the history of what a boss 302 means. I not here to talk crap about ford and i’m sorry if anyone feels that way. But ford you didn’t need bail out money. Why did you have to go with a chinesse transmission and not a american made transmission? To save a couple of bucks? I would have paid the extra 2k to 4k more for an american transmission. I will update on Monday what the dealer says but I’m pretty sure they will come up with some excuss to say i abused it! Best part is I got the car in 2011 and rarely drive it and I don’t get on it like how other people do.

December 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm
(65) George Batease says:

I bought a BOSS 303 Laguna Saga 2013, had the same problem. Only 5500 miles.

My issue was I cannot get my mustang into 5 gear, it grinds like the synchronizer is binding.

I seem to happen mostly between 4th to 5th and 6th to 5th but predominately 5th gear is the problem.

December 25, 2013 at 11:04 am
(66) Ronald says:

I have a 2013 Boss 302 siting in my garage with 4000 miles on it that I can’t drive because the transmission is locked up. I spoke with the dealer and they had 4 Boss 302′s with transmission problem in there shop at the time. This was 3 months ago. They told that they will fit me into there shop for repairs when they can. After phoning them on a weekly basis they say that there having trouble getting the part to do the repairs.

January 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm
(67) Kim Coleman says:

20011 was taken into Ramey ford Johnson city tn. Does not want to go into second gear at certain times. Sometimes even comes right back out of second gear. The tech stated he could not duplicate problem. There is a problem!!!

February 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm
(68) Mustang Daisy says:

I have a 2012 Mustang V6 automatic transmission and a month ago I noticed a jerking as I came to a stop. Took it in and they could’nt find the problem. Last night as I entered the freeway and got to about 60 MPH all my gauges went crazy and the car acted as if it couldnt shift. Speedometer showed 0 MPH eventhough I was going approx. 60-65. The fuel light came on eventhough it was on a full tank. RPM was stuck at 2. Multiple other guages lit up like it was Christmas. I made it home wrote down all the guages that came on and then turned the car off and restarted it. All guages and warnings were gone. Took it to the Ford Dealer this morning and they just called stating its the wiring harness to/in the transmission. I am pleased they were able to locate the problem and its covered under the manufacturers warranty still!! I absolutely love this car, but hate car problems. I’ve driven a Toyota all my life but decided to get something fun this time. Hopefully this will not happen again…

March 10, 2014 at 7:09 am
(69) Greg Otero says:

I have a 2014 GT Track Package Mustang, I have installed the Barton shift bracket along with the transmission mount insert to remedy my shifting issues from 1st to 2nd and under hard loads it is still very hard to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. my car now has 11000 miles after one year. my next stop will be the Ford dealership

May 1, 2014 at 7:07 pm
(70) Kirk says:

I just bought a 2014 V6 performance package model. I have the problem as well. It grinds into 5th and 6th pretty regularly with the clutch to the floor when cold. Once it warms up it still does it occasionally, but for the most part I can shift it between 5th and 6th as fast as I can with no grinding. Reading about all these problems makes me pretty angry. It has been to the dealer twice and they say they can’t replicate it.