Generations of the Ford Mustang
Trace the history of the Ford Mustang from the First Generation through the Fifth.
- Generations of the Ford Mustang
- 10 Reasons Why We Love the Ford Mustang
- Sharing Your Mustang Memories
- Mustang Historical Figures: The People Behind the Ford Mustang
- 10 Celebrity Mustang Owners
- The Shelby Mustang - A Brief History
- The Roush Mustang - A Brief History
- Mustang Through the Years Photo Gallery
First Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973
On March 9, 1964, the first Mustang rolled off the assembly line in Dearborn, Michigan. A month later on April 17th, 1964, the Ford Mustang made its world debut.
- First Generation Mustang
- Ford's 15 Mustang Highlights From 1964 to 1974
- Profile: 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang
- Profile: 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang
- Profile: Ford Mustang 1966 Model Year
- First Generation Photo Gallery
Second Generation 1974-1978
For almost a decade, consumers had come to know the Ford Mustang as a power performance machine, with performance increases delivered on an almost yearly basis. Ford took a different approach with the second generation Mustang.
Third Generation 1979-1993
Sleek and redesigned, the 1979 was the first Mustang to be built on the new Fox platform, thus kicking off the third generation of the vehicle.
- Third Generation Mustang
- FAQ: Has the Mustang always been available with a convertible top?
- Third Generation Photo Gallery
Fourth Generation 1994-2004
Not only did 1994 mark the 30th anniversary of the Ford Mustang; it also ushered in the fourth generation of the car, which was built on a new FOX-4 Platform.
Fifth Generation 2005-2014
In 2005, Ford introduced the all-new S197/D2C Mustang platform, thus launching the fifth generation of Mustang. As Ford put it, "The new platform is designed to make the Mustang faster, safer, more agile and better-looking than ever." In 2010, Ford gave the Fifth Generation Mustang a redesign. For the 2011 model year, Ford brought back the 5.0L engine and designed a more powerful V6 Mustang.
- Fifth Generation Mustang
- Profile: 2008 Ford Mustang
- Profile: 2009 Ford Mustang
- Profile: 2010 Ford Mustang
- Profile: 2011 Ford Mustang